Thursday, July 13, 2006

Back already




So four days is not enough time in a foreign country... especially one you love.
Cancun was wonderful- except for mom's new boyfriend of course- and while I'd love to vent all about how obnoxious, domineering, idiotic, and low class he is- I believe the stories I now have in my possession about this particular person are too long to detail here. Let's just say- my mom is not thinking straight.
So- Cancun was great. Mom and I went diving at Eden's Rock and some unnamed drift dive- 50 feet was our max depth, perfect visibility, and the fish are still beautiful. Unfortunately the coral is damaged from last hurricane season and the aftermath is clearly visible. There are yards and yards of broken coral littering the floor of the ocean. We're just lucky there's anything left. I hear Cozumel didn't make out so well though- which is sad since it was my first open water dive- Santa Rosa reef when I was 12! Get out your calculators ladies and gents, I've been a diver for 9 years now. Holy crap. The only other comparable experience I've had is Liz's friendship (and Ken- 13 years) and Shane's friendship (7 years). Its crazy to think I've been doing anything for more than a decade. Time is flying and I truly can't believe we are not so much "young" as we are "adults" now. Please god, keep me from getting old at heart.
So anyways- other than diving, I played an awesome half day volleyball game with some crazy people at the hotel I stayed at, walked through Playa del Carmen for another day, Cancun another... Unfortunately my ultimate goal, to go to Tulum and see the ruins, was never accomplished due to my short stay and a few deterrents in our itinerary. I'm truly upset about that- but maybe next time. In Playa we went to Carlos and Charlies and Sr. Frogs (not really my type of place... but interesting I guess) and I watched 3 old ladies get drunk and dance with 18 yr olds... they almost got onto the bar- but some part of their teacher brains snapped back into place- thank god. I don't think I could have handled much more of drunken elementary school teachers gone wild. Flight there and back was great- met some awesome people- from San Fran, from Wisconsin, someone who got married in Playa del Carmen... good people. It's nice to see that there are actually some honest people still out there. Lots of young married couples. Am I really entering the part of life where everyone around you starts getting married and having kids? I mean, being single is great, as is being in a good relationship, but jeez- getting married? I'm going to end up being an old hag, sitting on my front porch with a shot gun, yelling at little kids to get off my grass as I stand up and cock the barrel.
Tonight was great- I went out with Jon and Laura to Doc's on South Congress- great place, great beer, good prices... it was nice. Then home to watch Eurotrip- they swear its the best movie ever... I thought it was ok... but not as good as super troopers or the sweetest thing. You just cant beat them.
Alrighty- time to get back to real life. If I dont start working on my MCAT stuff- I'm not going to improve my score. Oh my.

No comments: