Friday, June 23, 2006

remembering...


I just remembered something I brought up last night and Bruce pointed out... let me start differently.
Last night I reminded Bruce of when we went windsurfing in Texas City with our Uncle Tom. It was awesome- I had a hard time but got the sail up and went about- 10 feet- before falling into the water. Bruce however picked it up instantly and ended up sailing about a half mile off shore before dropping the sail and getting stuck. He didnt really know how to turn around and come back so there he was- 1/2 mile out from shore- waving his arms around and probably yelling but we couldn't hear it. So uncle Tom starts swimming out to him- it literally took him about 10 minutes to swim out to him! And then he got the sail up and had Bruce lay on the back of the board while he sailed it in.
Anyways- the point is- Bruce looks and me and says "if you hadn't mentioned that story, I would never have thought of it for the rest of my life, and that was such a great day".
And I started thinking of all the memories that I'll never be able to remember- about a multitude of things- but especially my dad.
When you think of it that way- in that finite and terminal way... it's why alzheimers is such a scary disease. You lose parts of your life!!
I know this is all just part of life- but still. Does this bother anyone else???

No comments: